If you’re considering having a mole removed, then you’re right to be contemplating what the healing process and aftercare entails and whether you need to rethink any of your normal activities.
The good news is, mole removal is relatively simple and most of our patients are able to return to normal activities the same day.
However, there are a few things to bear in mind, so we’ve prepared a quick summary of what to expect.
The guidelines do vary depending on what procedure you’ve had and whether or not you have stitches or dressings.
What To Expect After Shave Excision
Most moles are removed using the ‘shave excision’ procedure, which is very quick to carry out and requires no stitches. Shave excision is suitable for the majority of raised moles.
- If you have a dressing you will be told when it can be removed
- Vaseline is normally then applied to keep the wound moist for 1 to 2 weeks until healed
- The wound will be red for 2 to 3 weeks, which gradually settles over the next few months
- Massaging with oils or moisturising/silicon (dermatix) creams is advisable after 2 to 3 weeks to help reduce any scarring
- If there is any increasing pain or redness, consult your doctor
What To Expect After Ellipse Excision
Larger, flat or more complex moles will be removed using ‘ellipse excision’, a surgical technique which usually does require stitches. For elliptical excisions we normally advise the following aftercare:
- Keep the wound dry for 2 days
- Dressings can be left for up to a week
- You will be informed as to whether your stitches are dissolvable or need to be removed
- Over 1 to 2 weeks, in areas where the skin is under tension such as the back and legs, it is advisable to reduce exercises which would possibly stretch the wound
- Steri-strips can be applied over the wound for up to 3 weeks to help the wound heal
- After 3 weeks the wound can be massaged with oils or moisturising creams
- If there is any increasing pain or redness consult your doctor as it could be a sign of infection
For full guidelines and detailed account of what to expect, see mole removal aftercare.
Private Mole Checks & Removal
The London Mole Removal Centre is a private company, offering private mole checks and mole removal treatment for unwanted moles. The experienced doctors and surgeons also offer removal treatment for a range of other skin lesions (e.g. cysts, skin tags, warts, verruca, lipoma, xanthelasma).
All consultations and treatments are carried out in person by doctors who are specially trained in the latest laser and skin surgery techniques and are highly experienced in the field.
Further advantages of private treatment at the London Mole Removal Centre include:
- No waiting lists
- Fully trained doctors, registered with GMC
- Moles can often be removed in the same appointment as the consultation, saving the need for a repeat visit and allowing patients to get their skin lesions removed very quickly
- Choice of 4 clinics in London and also Bristol
- Removed moles tested with report provided
For more information or to book a consultation, please complete the form on this web page or call 020 7731 3791.