Rachel Solvasen’s has shared her story of what she thought was a verruca or wart or glass stuck in her foot which turned out to be melanoma.
She tried over the counter creams but the blemish continued to grow. When her GP referred her for a biopsy, she found that what she thought was a normal skin lesion or foreign body was actually melanoma.
A tumour was removed from her foot requiring extensive plastic surgery and reconstruction. She then had immunotherapy as the cancer had progressed to her leg, groin and even stomach lining and lungs.
Rachel is now cancer-free but knows that it could return.
Stand Up To Cancer
Rachel is now using her experience to raise funds for Stand Up To Cancer together with her sons. She hope that her story will help to raise awareness and warn others not to ignore skin lesions.
- Melanoma is the most dangerous form of skin cancer
- Most commonly caused by harmful UV rays which damage skin DNA and trigger mutations that can form malignant tumors
- Approx 15,900 new cases and 2,285 mortalities each year in the UK
- Avoid sunburn
- Use sunscreen every day
- Cover up with clothing/hat and/or seek shade where possible
- Avoid peak hours of the sun and extended sun exposure
- Check skin regularly for any worrying lesions
- See the GP straightaway in case of any concerns
Private Mole Checks & Removal
The London Mole Removal Centre is a private company, offering private mole checks and treatment for unwanted moles and other skin lesions (e.g. cysts, skin tags, warts, verruca, lipoma, xanthelasma). All consultations and treatments are carried out in person by doctors who are specially trained in the latest laser and skin surgery techniques and are highly experienced in the field.
Further advantages of private treatment at the London Mole Removal Centre include:
- No waiting lists
- Fully trained doctors, registered with GMC
- Moles can often be removed in the same appointment as the consultation, saving the need for a repeat visit and allowing patients to get their skin lesions removed very quickly
- Choice of 4 clinics in London and also Bristol
- Removed moles tested with report provided
For more information or to book a consultation, please complete the form on this web page or call 020 7731 3791.