Popsugar UK delivers its summer roundup of the best ways to protect young skin from the sun’s harmful rays in:
“The Best Sunscreens For Kids and Babies, According to Dermatologists”
As the article explains, sunscreen is essential for children, as their skin is more sensitive. Even though summer holidays may be looking uncertain, the time spent outdoors could still be adding up this year:
“…despite everything that’s happening on the pandemic front, lockdown restrictions are slowly easing, which means you may have started spending more time outdoors with your family as the weather warms up. There’s no doubt your children are already begging you for trips to the park or, if you’re lucky enough to have outside space, more time in the garden.”
As Founder and Medical Director of the London Mole Removal Centre, Dr Ross Perry is frequently asked for his expert advice on moles and prevention of skin cancer. He has appeared in Popsugar a number of times in the past on issues relating to the skin.
He shared his top tip on sunscreen for children and babies – an economical product with the highest 5 star UV rating – that is widely available in Boots:
“The best sunscreen for the face, arms, and legs is Soltan Kids Protect & Moisturise SPF 50 (£3.50) used once daily.
“It will last when in water and gives a total block, which lasts three-to-four hours, so it probably needs to be applied twice daily if you’re in and out of a pool.”
The article concludes with a reminder that avoiding the sun altogether is advised at peak hours.
“Remember that the sun is strongest between 11am and 3pm, so try to find a shaded area between these times to keep your little ones cool.”
Applying Sunscreen for Kids & Babies
- Apply sunscreen at least 15 minutes before going into the sun
- Make sure you use plenty as a lot of parents don’t use enough. You should expect to use 1-2 full tablespoons of product for a child’s entire body
- Rub in well to make sure it is properly absorbed
- Reapply when in the sun and then reapply again every 1-2 hours
- Always reapply after swimming or towelling
Dr Ross Perry
Dr Perry is renowned as an expert in removal of skin lesions. He has removed thousands of moles in his role as Medical Director and founder of Cosmedics Skin Clinics including the London mole Removal Centre.
His career includes working in the NHS both in skin cancer reconstruction and as a GP, so he is experienced and expert in diagnosing skin lesions and providing the best possible advice/treatment.
Private Mole Checks & Removal
Their experts also offer diagnosis and treatment for a range of other skin lesions including cysts, skin tags, warts, verruca, lipoma, xanthelasma, milia. All consultations and treatments are carried out in person by doctors who are specially trained in the latest laser and skin surgery techniques and are highly experienced in the field. Patients benefit from:
- No waiting lists
- Fully trained doctors, registered with GMC
- Blemishes can usually be removed in the same appointment as the consultation, saving the need for a repeat visit and allowing patients to get very quick treatment
- Choice of 4 clinics in London plus one in Bristol
- Testing with report provided where necessary
For more information or to book a consultation, please complete the form on this web page or call 020 7731 3791.