Verrucas are simply warts that appear on the feet.
As with warts elsewhere on the body, they’re caused by the human papilloma virus (HPV). Unfortunately, this is a highly contagious virus, so they’re easily caught and easily spread too. This doesn’t only mean passing on verruca to other people, but also finding that the verrucas spread – multiplying on the feet or appearing as warts on other areas of the body,
- Don’t go barefoot in public places. Wear flip flops where possible at the swimming pool, in communal showers or gym changing rooms
- Don’t share towels, socks or shoes with someone who has a verruca
- Change your socks every day
- Avoid touching other people’s warts or verrucas
- Keep the feet dry, as wet feet are more at risk of getting HPV
Avoid Spreading Verrucas/Warts
If you already have a verruca, here are some suggestions to avoid passing it on:
- Wear special verruca socks when swimming etc
- Wear flip flops in any shared showers – this includes at home as well as the pool/gym
- Cover verrucas with waterproof plasters
- Treat the verruca as quickly as possible to avoid it spreading to other parts of the body or other people. Verrucas are easiest to treat before they become too established. Once they are enlarged or hardened, they can be very painful to walk on too
DIY Verruca Treatments
At home treatments can be purchased from the chemist. Over the counter remedies are stronger than the ones available on the shelf, but they are still not effective on all verrucas. Some are very resistant to treatment.
For aggressive/resistant verrucas, professional treatment is advised.
The London Mole Removal Centre is a private company, offering treatment for unwanted moles and other skin lesions (cysts, skin tags, warts, verruca, lipoma etc).
Verruca treatments are carried out by doctors who are specially trained in the latest skin surgery techniques and are highly experienced in the field.
Verruca removal is carried out using a range of methods, depending on the severity of the condition. Our doctors may use cryotherapy (freezing), laser (or microcautery), or even surgery for the most difficult cases. Cryotherapy (freezing) and laser may involve 2-3 treatments to ensure complete removal of the foot warts, especially for the longer established verrucas.
Advantages of private treatment at the London Mole Removal Centre include:
- No waiting lists
- Choice of clinics in London and also Bristol
Skin Blemish Treatments
The London Mole Removal Centre offers a range of treatments designed for dealing with unwanted moles, cysts, warts, skin tags and other skin blemishes.
All treatments are carried out by skilled and experienced doctors and surgeons.
For more information or to book a consultation, please complete the form on this web page or call 020 7731 3791.